6.9.08

A word about Nabih

5 September 2008 9:30 pm

Nabih is on Nanny # 4. It has been a terrible wave of women trying to keep up with him. During the reign of Nanny #3 he became obsessed with the art teacher’s husband who is a soccer player from Nigeria. He’s young and friendly and willing to watch soccer or Scooby Doo with Nabih. Best of all, he doesn’t mind hanging out with Nabih as long as he brings his own food. Nanny #3 let this go a little too far I think when he began taking naps there and hanging out on the porch waiting for his “friend” to come back.

Actually, Nabih described him as his big brother, Chica. I knew it was serious when we walked home with Rhonda, his wife, one day. I was trying to get back home quickly, a case of walking and talking together, when Nabih asked to see Chica. “I just want to see his face,” he said sounding like a school girl with a crush.

I know that it is many parts of many things- missing his dad, too many nannies, not enough little friends to play with, the opportunity to watch TV, and just some friendly, funny company.
Which is why I am supremely happy we have found Nanny #4- Mama Vero. She has a wonderful disposition- laughing all the time- and exudes patience. I’m not sure how great this really is because when I would have become stern long before, it seems certain she never will. But Nabih is mostly happy with her and frequently pretends like he is going home with her when she leaves. He has invited her to bring her children to play with him and she laughs at this.

While I think he is now visiting Chica less (and napping more at home) he has developed another peculiar habit. He comes to school. He wants badly to go to school and I am wanting to work this out for him but (well, cereal is going for 22 bucks) so its on hold for now. He comes to the school yard (accompanied by Mama Vero) and hangs around for most of the day. We have a morning recess and an afternoon recess so during those times he plays with the kids. My fifth graders are amazing and some of the boys have taken to playing soccer or catch with him. Even Mohamed and his friends were having races with him today. When the children go back to their classes, Nabih sidles up to the maintenance guys. He helps rake leaves or just practices sweeping with his stick (they are using large palm leaves so its not that much of a stretch.) They tell me everyday how friendly and intelligent he is. He’s become everyone’s problem. Sometimes, you just have to go home. He never wants to. Everyday it is a contest to see who can talk him into it. Sometimes one of them will walk with him halfway, sometimes they will promise candy, and sometimes they just tell him to go home and eat lunch- come back later. He always does.

He is a presence. And when I get home, he tells me again how he wants to go to school. So I tell him I will be his teacher and while Mohamed is out prowling with his friends, Nabih and I do some work on letters and colors and counting. Gardner by day, student extraordinaire by night.