10.10.09

In Plain English (or as close as I can come to it anyway..)


This is the kind of day that has me repeating to myself, 'I really love my life.' The fact of the matter is I have never felt this way before. I am cognizant each and every minute of the pleasure my life brings. The gratefulness to which I approach everything is a drastic turn from the previous me who was, basically, a shouting, raving lunatic- completely stressed out and unaware of how to overcome it all.


Most days the sun, with its nurturing heat and vibrant rays is enough to reduce me to a humble state. Today was one of those perfect days full of experience and exuberance. One of the teachers at school volunteers at an orphange (I believe there was a previous post about a trip we made there.) He arranged to have the kids come to campus and several teachers had them in for a 'class.' We made books in my room and it was fun. The kids were well mannered and quiet....so quiet. Of course, I did see them on the playground and I know what happens with a bit of freedom. But they had lunch and I made some watermelon slushies (which I don't think were actually a great hit, but they did seem to like the sandwiches...) Mohamed had a great time playing with all of the sports equipment and showing them how to use everything.

But that was not even the beginning of the perfect day. (Well, technically, that was the beginning, but that is not yet the perfect part, although it was a nice time.)

I had arranged for Jacques to come to Stand Proud with me this Saturday to do some drumming with the kids. Last week, as we drew, music played and some of the kids were dancing and moving. It seemed evident they would love to have some live music to groove to.


Walking in to ACDF, I felt at home. Ahhhh, these are the kids I know. Because we were a bit late, it seemed they had given up on me. Most had moved off to the bedrooms in search of an afternoon nap.
"Are we going to draw today?" one child asked me and I couldn't tell if it was hopefully or with lazy interest. I sent them off to gather the others for a great surprise.The children were immediately drawn to the drums and with Jacques' incredible spirit he easily inspired them to dance, sing and express themselves. Their eyes were filled with pure joy and excitement and smiles lifted every face. I felt completely happy to see them so caught up in the moment.  And it really was about the moment. I did not feel any need to think about longevity, sustainability or continuity. I just wanted a day of pure pleasure for these kids. And they got it. So did I.