28.7.15

A little bit of Paradisia

We've been in Abidjan for just over a year and I continue to reflect on reasons why we moved here. While still not convinced it was the right move, I have accepted it as the decision I made. I am certain if I had stayed on Kinshasa I would be wondering why I didn't just have the courage to pick up and start again. Such is the way of decisions- always looking greener on the other side, even if it is the side you've already been to.

There is plenty to be grateful for (consistent electricty and running water top among them) and added entertainment was one of reasons we counted for taking the plunge. Abidjan seemed to offer a bit more in the way of spending leisure family time and so on Sunday  we took advantage and headed out to Paradisia in M'badon, which is sort of just up the road from us (a country road.)

The name alone suggests there will be a lot to live up to, but it is helpful to remember in Africa all that's needed for a good time is a party dress and some loud music. We weren't disappointed in that respect. Mbalia got her dance on to latest hip hop tunes sounding from the speakers. (There's always a little question about the appropriateness of the music, in this case, blaring f-bombs rang out in stark contrast to the innocent looking happy birthday balloons in pastel colors.)

A spacious pavillion for all your party needs
We arrived early by Abidjan standards and the place was pretty empty. We decided to start off with the sandwich and drink that came with our ticket price. Not very exciting.

When you're ten, you try to be as
 cool as your big brother


When you're 13, you're too cool
 for photos

Mom gets one anyway



Mbalia is the only one who can
 really throw her head back and
 laugh. She always has a good time

Dancing in the sand

A nice view of the lagoon from palm shaded tables

Crackers while we wait for the food. 


The boys' take on the sandwiches.... next time try the hamburger. It could have been the early hour but my fries took so long we thought they forgot about them and so we headed off to explore the rides. (Our waitress found me later watching the boys on the teacups and let me know my food was ready.)

I love that the price seemed to equal the entertainment and nothing was too much.The rides weren't too high or too crazy. There weren't too many fried food or cotton candy stands and there weren't too many games just trying to suck the small change from your pockets. A very toned down amusement park experience. Exactly what I can handle.

Although I initially thought the boys might find it less than their speed, a ferris wheel and bumper cars hold the power to elicit a smile from anyone. And we all agreed the experience might be enhanced by the magic of a sunset. Walking around the small park, it was hard not to have memories of my own carnival experiences. Contrasting the two left me feeling grateful that this was the experience I could offer my children.

Nabih is a little nervous....

...although the ride doesn't seem too high

Dizzying fast tilting action gave Mohamed a headache

You can't help but smile watching these kids bump around.
 I wanted to take a picture of the stern look on the face of the
 guy running the ride. I can't imagine how he stops from grinning
all day. Maybe you get numb to it after the first 700 hours.

The only car left, a hot pink roadster for my guy

A rare side of  Nabih -smiling

Cute little building with kiddy rides

Our taxi had to pause for this cow crossing on the way home