14.8.08

The Quest for Light... Revisited

14.08.08 7.21 pm

The lights have been going out at least once a day since we arrived (except perhaps for the first 2 days, a false enticement of reliability.) It seems to have gotten progressively worse. At first, it was only an hour or two….then three or four. Today the lights went out around 1:00. They just came on as I sat down to write, 6 ½ hours later.

As you can imagine, I am rethinking my dilemma in front of the flashlight selection. What will we be trying to do without the lights? Apparently everything. There has been a pattern of power failure in the early afternoon… so we will be teaching in the dark (it seems there used to be a generator for the school but it has passed on into the land of decrepit and outdated machinery. Another is in the works we are told…)

We are fortunate to be supplied with a propane cooker and so can prepare meals in the dark. This is very convenient. However, being blessed with 2 small children, anything by candlelight becomes a hyper vigilant affair. The revised list would include wall mounted candle holders, FAT candles, a box of lighters and matches, and a hammer. With these few items, one could continue a fairly normal evening without electricity.

Of course, I miss internet and the sense of connection with the outside world. As it is, I’ve yet to get any news (how is Barack holding up anyway?!?!) and had barely any time to leisurely browse. Most likely this is due to the task of preparing my class and my mind for 25 students. It will be a bit more than any I’ve had before. I fluxuate between feeling completely up to it and panicking. Pre-school jitters, even teachers get them.

I will not be alone, however, there is an assistant to witness my incompetencies. We had an interesting exercise that illuminated the differences in our training. It is something I have been aware of but today, it seemed especially poignant.

We were completing three questions during a presentation on critical thinking.
The purpose of education…..the major problems encountered…and the implications of a successful education. I was unique in that my 2 group members were assistants, both Congolese trained teachers. We were discussing the purpose of education and came up with some beautiful, though strikingly different, suggestions. One replied most eloquently,” To build the human capacity for participating in the community properly as useful citizens.” Initially, it sounded very good to me. Of course, we all must learn to function within society and to feel a contributing member. I had to add, “and for improving it [the community and its systems].” As we shared answers around the room, I became struck by the many (mostly American) varieties on independence and self-interest. Theese included becoming life-long learners and ‘guiding students to develop to their greatest potential.’ And there it was so clear….

A focus on being part of the whole, versus a focus on developing oneself (presumably to then concentrate on the whole but often this seems to get left to the self-sacrificing few who are then labeled for thier uniqueness as altruistic or do-gooders.)

It gets into one of those sticky situations here, as I can see the value of each belief. It is important for us to develop as individuals and to achieve autonomy and independence. Equally so to be allowed a measure of choice in our futures. However, it cannot be denied that an obligation to family, community, or some system outside of ourselves is necessary to sustain human development and progression. Frequently it is this obligation that is allowed to warp into self-serving desires.
It is not my intention to try and sort out the beginnings and endings of this (here) but it was quite amazing to sit there in the room and see it so plainly put…..our desire to develop individuals able to satisfy themselves and their desire to develop individuals able to satisfy the community. I couldn’t really pick a “side” of the room but felt quite comfortable in my position, surrounded by Congolese on the inner circle, Americans on the outer with a bridge occurring.

International education…..by candlelight.