2.9.08

American football

28.08.08 8:08 pm

Recess here is an adventure onto itself. The playground is immense and really could be broken into four major sections. There is the lower soccer field, the upper playground with monkey bars and swings, the basketball court, and the other play area with slides, 2 tether balls and a wooden climbing structure (you know, wooden bridge, fireman’s poles, that sort of thing.) Because the area is so large I find it challenging to be out there for my weekly duty. It is a duty that involves walking the various play yards (helpful for deterring the black flies) and monitoring the many ways children play. Lunch and recess is a whole school affair (elementary anyway. )

It is a good time to get to know some of the younger kids and also figure out the relationships between them Its multi-age and that can work…or not. Mohamed has pestered one of my students until they are now ‘friendly.’ Mohamed tags after him in basketball and soccer and they have developed something of an agreement. ( I think its something like Mohamed can play as long as he’s not annoying and doesn’t hog the ball.)

Today, however, a group of five children came stumbling up the hill carrying a kindergartener. When I asked them to put him down they explained that he kept hitting them. One of the boys, a second or third grader, looked at me earnestly and said, ”We’re playing a rough game and he could get hurt.”
When I asked what they were playing I heard a chorus of, “American football.” I had to laugh. American football. “ But you’re not tackling each other, right?” A bunch of head nods, of course they were.

So I introduced them to two-hand touch. As I’m pointing out how to touch someone with two hands, the sweet and earnest kid looks at me and says, “Yeah, then we push them down.”
“No, in two hand touch, two hands on someone means they’re down. You don’t push anyone over.”
They were not thrilled with this idea. They shake their heads and walk away. I hear them say, “Let’s play soccer.” So much for American football.