18.12.08

Angst & Awe

the reason I am not a political blogger (aside from the fact that I need things reduced to their simplest terms for adequate comprehension) is the fact that I am very bad at citing remarks. I can never seem to remember where I heard something, only that I did. My reading goal this year was to improve my memory of author names. I am improving in that area and suppose it is time to generalize and pay more attention to when and where I’ve read something of interest.

Of course, this is leading up to a statement, quoted from some other article, from some other place, written at some other time. I came across this fact during a late night scouring session. The internet seems to work best then and I end up sitting awake, searching the web, trying to make contact with the outside world. (UNperpetuation- there is t.v. available here, cable too, even animalplanet. It is an exorbitant sum to get started, however, and I am fairly happy without it.)

Generally I catch up on news from the U.S, followed by news about Congo and then stream music while I write emails or browse for pleasure. It was one evening, while trying to stay informed about the news of the east, that I came across a description of the intake process of refugees into camps. I thought of FEMA and its incredible (insert your own adjective here) handling of the disasters in Louisiana and Texas.

Typical of Africa, what I read left me with a double feeling of angst and awe. Upon arrival, refugees are given a handful of sticks and directed to an area where they then construct their own homestead. We have a sample of such housing on our elementary playground. It was built by a second grade teacher and her class last year. The walls are falling apart and need some upkeep. It is a reminder of how many Congolese women and children are spending their days- repairing a shelter.



I must be impressed that with such few resources they are able to create something that provides (meager) protection against the elements. It is doubtful that the residents of New Orleans would have been pacified with a handful of branches, even if they were carefully chosen for their strength and sturdiness.

On the heels of my amazement, comes an overwhelming angst that so many people continue to live in mud packed houses without adequate washing or toilet facilities, even as I walk unhindered across my green oasis blossoming with electricity, running water and indoor plumbing.

But I am in awe of their ability to construct and create. It seems we in the west have lost the basic ability to build for ourselves. For most of us, we wait while another prepares the place in which we might begin to carry out the business of living.

It seems without dispute that the only solution to the global issues plaguing most of the world requires a merging of ideas and technology- that which we have learned and that which we have overlooked.