29.6.09

Commercial district

Ever in search of clean water, I was on my way to buy more PUR packets for distribution to Vero. I thought that, since she has a tap of running water in her yard and I’ve seen some neighbors come to get water as well as the soda and pop she sells, if I could get her hooked on using the packets, it might benefit the whole neighborhood. (I’ve since come down from my lofty cloud but you know, it never hurts to dream.)

Albert has told me to come to the PSI office anytime and pick up a box. This office sits on a relatively nice, paved street. It is wide enough for two lanes of traffic and a row or so of pedestrians to manage without getting in each other’s way. However, those in the office inform me they are out of boxes and send me to the commerce district to ‘any pharmacy’ that will have some.

Rue de commerce is organized that way. All the pharmacies are in one cluster, then the hardware stores, and the fabric shops, etc. Everything grouped together by product. It turns out that none of the pharmacies had whole boxes available either, but what a series of adventures to discover this.

The streets themselves, adventure one. They quickly turned from fairly smooth and paved to swelling mounds of packed earth more reminiscent of a dirt bike race track than a ‘rue de commerce.’ Aside from the frequent ups and downs, there are people and pushcarts to avoid. Many of the carts are loaded with goods higher than my car. Up to four men might be struggling with one in order to get it to navigate the hills and valleys and avoid the outright ditches.

Second adventure- leaving the car. The streets are swarming with people, mostly men, sitting, watching, waiting. They have been eyeing me from a distance and I know they will be ready to pounce as soon as I step out of the car. I really don’t want to go into the ‘pharmacy’ I’ve happened to stop in front of. It is small and dirty and crowded. Outside a line of older men loiter with nothing to do except gaze in my direction. Inside, behind the counter the clerks are wearing face masks. In a corner a woman sits on the floor counting out pills into a small plastic baggie. On her lap is a basket full of unrecognizable remedies. The entire scene makes me feel like fleeing.
As expected, a young someone has attached himself to my elbow, completely intruding on my business. No pharmacy privacy act in effect here, that is for certain. He listens to my request so he will be ready to provide any small amount of assistance which I could easily perform for myself. Such as finding my way across the street to another pharmacy when this one does not have what I want.

Actually, although I consider it for a moment, I am happy enough to have him accompany me. I can hear the shouts of ‘Mondele! Mondele!” rise above the general din of the busy streets. It is a cry that always generates an initial, somewhat comical urge to run and hide. Everyone should have to feel this way at least once in their lives. Trapped inside your own skin, wanting to get out.

Someone tries to join us and I am satisfied to already be “taken,” having developed a slight preference for my guide. He leads me into another ‘pharmacy,’ this one more open and bright. I am nearly standing outside as I place my request. I appreciate the openness, having felt completely closed in within the dark, blue painted cement of the previous shop. My guide ‘translates’ my order, though we are all speaking French. I understand it to be part of his job, doing things for me that I can do for myself. I collect my purchase and he walks me back to my car, all the while questioning if I’ve been able to buy the quantity I was looking for and assuring me he would be happy to run off in search of more. No, I thank him and tell him I am finished for this day. I give him the obligatory tip- too much but still just about one dollar- and settle back into the car for adventure number three.

How do I get out of here? The commerce area is a veritable maze of shops and people, push carts and animals. Somewhere in here is the Grande Marche and I know several of the roads will lead to that dead end. A small group of men have begun to bang on the window, demanding money and so I choose to drive straight off rather than execute a timely turn. I always believe the people on the street to be much faster than my car could ever go. It is better to just get out rather than wait for them to gain force in numbers.

My desired path is cut off by a huge lake of water. Another man overtakes the window, jogging along, tapping and talking. I make all decisions by instinct (l’aide de Dieu) and crack the window slightly to hear him. He is friendly, encouraging and helpful. He gets me turned around, provides directions de sortie, and wishes me bon journee, with a fairly beautiful smile.