15.2.10

the international top 10

A list of real, recent Top Ten reasons to be late or absent from school.......they range in order from the most common to the most unique, but ALL have been offered up to me by fifth graders or their parents:

10. It rained and/or traffic.
9. I had malaria.
8. My nanny didn't wake me up on time.
7. I am still on extended vacation with my parents in South Africa.
6. I moved back to South Africa (or insert other African country here) permanently.
5. My plane got in too late/early and I had to sleep all day.
4. I had to go to the (insert foreign country here) embassy to get a visa.
3. I broke my (insert body part here)
 --there have actually been 3 fifth graders who've broken an arm or wrist so far this year
2. My chauffeur got pulled over and didn't have the money for a fine, so I had to pay with my allowance.
1. We had an armed intruder in our yard last night and I was up all night talking to our security policemen