11.3.10

The Patriot

Today I am ready for the self indulgance of America. A day  like this creeps up on me every so often here. I become indignant and righteous. I forget everything I have learned and turn my head from the complicated facts confronting me daily. On a day like today, when I return to my car parked alonog the main road, I refuse to give money to the small crowd of boys surrounding it. They eye me as I shut my door, put on my seat belt and shift the car into gear... They are waiting for my response to their doe eyes and pleading nods. Today I am calloused. I want to demand an explanation for how they have earned money from me, besides standing in the road. When they slam my car as I drive away, I want to stop and get out. Today I feel like shaking a finger and shouting. Why do you feel you have a right to my money? Today I can only remember the struggles and poverty I faced as a youth; my slow climb out of it. But on a day like this one, I do not feel charitable in my new position. I do not remember the orphan or feel any sympathy. Today I drive in my car with my eyes straight ahead, not seeing anything. I feel so American today.