25.12.11

A christmas story

They came bearing gifts. I saw two of my street children this afternoon counting a handful of money as they made their way over to me. It couldn't have been more than 500 francs or so, made up of fifties and hundreds.

"Ah, so it is you who are rich today," I greeted them.
"Oui madame," the older boy replied as he handed me 200 franc. I graciously accepted in exchange for my bag of peanut butter sandwiches, chicken and the ever present mayi.

I have heard the saying that giving to street children and beggars only encourages them to continue. If you have read previous posts, you know I have struggled with this a bit- along with the concept of sustainable change. Both these ideas seem to discourage a small, daily kind of giving in favor only of those things that can make grand, lasting change. Those ideas seem to encourage NGO's and others who want their line of work to continue (though I've yet to witness any far reaching changes. To be sure, the dents they make are small and localized. I don't see much difference between that and what I am doing- making small change for a very few people.)


But today, on this holiday that is not mine and yet somehow belongs to everyone, it seems I have received a gift of my own. The surprising offer of those 200 francs makes us more than even I believe.