22.1.12

Short changed


Last night I went to see this group- which seems to encompass all things I hold dear- the power of art to transform lives, good music and unexpected connections between people that cross surprising boundaries. Staff Benda Bilili is a group made up of street people from Kinshasa. Some handicapped, some tossed out and forgotten, but all talented and capable musicians performing from their very souls.  They were discovered and transported from their ordinary lives to stardom. A real life fairy tale.

I arrived at my favorite cultural spot with Ousmane in tow. We left the car in the careful hands of Christian. “Je guard ca,” he assured me in a deep voice that didn’t seem to match his schoolboy uniform. He had presented himself in such a formal way (a near salute as he told me his name and desire) and this, coupled with his serious, scratchy voice, left me with the thought that perhaps my car could really disappear and I should be grateful for his very presence.

The show began with a near empty dance floor- save one lone artist moved by the music. It quickly filled up with moving, screaming fans. Everyone from those in wheelchairs to the young and old, the dancers and nondancers, Congolese and Europeans. I watched as Ousmane and Bonaza shed their reserve and chanted the refrains. We heard voices reminiscent of Papa Wemba and Baba Maal. Drumbeats drove Ousmane to shake his head and pull out his favorite guinean dance steps. Impromtu instruments made from ordinary objects inspired him to raise his empty water bottle and energetically accompany the rhythms.  One young man had such a sweet and inspiring voice I was filled with nostalgic longing for a time in my past that has never existed and a future moment I can only hope will transpire.

But I didn’t dance.  My foot tapped to the rhythm and maybe a sway escaped me, but dance did not spring forth. I regarded Ousmane in his clear joy with a smile and shake of my head, wishing I could be so free. I left for some fresh air and to reread a particularly encouraging text message I’d received days earlier. “You must learn to dominate your fear,” it read.  And I wanted to; I so completely wanted to  abandon my thoughts and surrender to joy. I am perplexed by what holds me back, but remain in awe of its awesome power over me. There is a huge barrier between what I want to do and what I allow myself to do.

As  I returned, I caught a glimpse of Ousmane and Bonaza dancing together, two sweet and beautiful friends caught up in the magic of the music. But even that sight could not reach out and encompass me. I enjoyed the show in my own careful way- too pensive, too bound up in emotion and observation but nonetheless affected by the energy.

When we left, true to his word, Christian was there- and so was our car, held to its spot no doubt due to the cunning and cleverness of our guardian . I stepped inside, found a few franc and rolled down the window to hand him his payment. He walked off with his friend as I noticed the car behind us had parked a bit closely.  Normally, I find no use for the hand signals and advice from street valets. In fact, they often seem to choose the perfectly wrong place to stand,  and I am left thinking that if only they’d move I would be able to navigate the packed space much more quickly and easily.  But as I watched the boys walk off counting their money, I was consumed with an odd notion to roll down the window and call them back. They hadn’t finished their service. I felt uncharacteristically short-changed.