13.5.12

Secret Confessions of an African Taxi rider

While I can't argue that taking a taxi can be unpredictable and frustrating- in any city- I must admit to finding a certain therapeutic value in it. After weeks of feeling cut off and estranged from the world, a ride in a taxi is just the medicine I need to bring me back to earth.

As I wait for the right moment to dash through the crowds and try to claim a place in a cab, I listen to the destinations being sung out. "Limete...Limbe.....Zondo...Pompage......Gombe....Boulevard....Whoolerie...." I am seduced. I feel like choosing any one of those places, the one most beautifully sung, and heading off for an unplanned adventure.

It happens every time. For a brief moment, I seriously consider just wandering off to a place with a melodic name and a search for a whole new me. A buffet of choices before me.....