14.7.12

the gift of patience

Turns out Kinshasa is not the only place that requires numerous trips to a variety of places in order to secure the weekly grocery needs. Spent a few good days in Pennsylvania touring the farm stands and discount grocery stores (and comparing ice cream places, naturally.) The rolling hills, curvy roads and abundant trees all reminded me of the Hudson Valley where I grew up in New York. While the landscape was familiar, the rest left me feeling like a tourist.

Parts of  Pennsylvania are known as Amish country and I guess I landed about close to there. We have the Woodcrest Bruderhof  in New York, but they ride in cars (at least, I think they do) and they mostly stick to their little plot of land in Rifton.  This site describes "self contained villages" where "children attend daycare and elementary school on the grounds, and adults work in communal departments." Any work the Bruderhof members do directly benefits the community and does not result in personal gain. So, we didn't see much of them working in stores or out and about in the community. Occasionally, one or two children might attend the public high school, or a family could be seen shopping in the local stores, but mostly they seem to have or be able to make everything they need.

The Amish seemed quite different in this respect as they were visibly present in all parts of life. Horse drawn buggies driving down the road, women working as cashiers and ice cream parlor clerks. My first reaction was completely influenced by Stephen King (yes, I was raised on Children of the Corn and other horror movies of that ilk) and I had to resist the way their calm nature inspired creepiness in me. Instead I tried to just enjoy the kindness. And how I welcomed the pace. None of that too fast, too bright, neon- American life greeting me here. (And I was worried I wasn't ready for the US.)

As my friend drove me around and pointed out all of her favorite spots, I marveled at the freshness. While the milk seemed to come directly from the cow and the bread was probably baked only hours before, the freshness I'm referring to was in the simple honesty and ease of life people enjoyed here. As we drove past one house, she pointed out that they sometimes have a sign for fresh baguettes on the metal stand in their yard. When the sign is out, you can stop in their basement and pick up some hot bread and other goodies. Leave the money in a box on the counter. (She reasoned that the other goodies were meant to facilitate a change-free purchase. One baguette for $4 plus a yummy over sized brownie for $1 means you can easily leave a five. No customer service, no change needed.)

We also stopped at this little farm store, complete with cows, chickens and other wandering farm animals. Apparently the farm pasteurizes its own milk and had a freezer full of delicious looking ice cream (of course, after a year in Kin, any ice cream that comes in a gallon container begins to look  mouth watering.) There was a variety of fresh vegetables and the money box on the counter. If no one is on hand when you arrive, just list the items you bought and leave the cash in the box. As we were making our purchase, someone did come in and sit behind the counter. He made a bit of small talk and my friend went off to....do something, leaving me to add up the bill. Something about being on the honor system made me especially conscious about making a mistake and my normally competent skills of addition took a small vacation. I had to double check for accuracy.

The best part of all  these stops however, was that we were accompanied by her two very cute and oh so precocious toddlers. Every stop became an adventure. Going to get milk was not just a trip to the store but a trip to see the mama goat and her babies. It wasn't just picking up a few tomatoes and eggs, but also trying to catch the silkie chickens and pet their soft "fur."

Fuzziness on Feet
Funny, furry friends



Everyone loves to hold the silkies and gaze out at the cows

Spending time with my friend and her little ones sent me reeling back to the time when my own kids were that small. I kept trying to remember if I'd had as much patience. I definitely remember a lot of rushing. But I also remember days at the park, going down the same slide over and over and thinking that this is exactly what parenting is about. Quiet times playing outdoors.

I'm sure I have a similar photo of my cuties in a swimming hole in NY- oh the memories of sweet times.


The trip to PA was exactly perfect for remembering all the important things in life- or the most important thing. Taking time to enjoy every moment (and before she shakes her head with a doubtful laugh.....) maybe every moment was not exactly enjoyable, but we were present. In the very now, the moment, looking at the animals, feeding grass to the goats, feeling the cool splash of water in a swimming hole. It's the lesson small kids teach us- and the one we seem to forget the easiest. Life isn't about rushing through, but it's about having patience to enjoy exactly what's happening right now. What a perfect gift for this rather turbulent time in my life. Because having patience makes us stronger and finding strength in America was the last thing I expected from this vacation.