21.8.14

A Birth Story - Parts 2 & 3




PART II- La Gaaz and les sage femmes 

I spent most of the next hours comparing everything to my previous c-section experience. Technically speaking, it was comforting to be able to have a reference. Getting prepped, the anesthesia and even the ‘table’ were all the same. There was that sensation of pulling, similar to having a tooth pulled times one thousand- mostly the same.  The doctor here in Abidjan seemed to be a bit more brusque, but perhaps that is just due to the experience being more recent and fresh in my mind.

I recall complaining during both procedures, though, again, the doctors here seemed slightly more annoyed by it. Finally the anesthesiologist asked me to bend my knee- a test I assumed, and one I thankfully failed. Nothing really hurt, more of an intense pressure that was just extremely uncomfortable.  Both operations included that blank moment- just after the peak of my complaints. I’m not sure if all women experience this but in both cases I missed the moment of birth that is such a prominent mark in a regular birth. The release from the birth canal, the moment of accomplishment. The cry. I assume it is what woke me seconds later. I immediately asked about the baby, fearful I had missed more than mere seconds. A nurse carried a tiny bundle over to me and held her up for a kiss. She was sweet and small and wrapped in a warm green blanket. Quite the opposing scene from little Nabih, who appeared to be 3 months old at birth and all arms and legs exploding from his blanket. “Where is my baby?” I remember thinking as I caught a glimpse of him in the nurse’s arms. “That can’t be my newborn.”

Mbalia, on the other hand, was nearly lost in her wraps. She was still covered in fuzz, a light blond fur making her appear golden and fragile. She was whisked away to be warmed under the light, and I was left to recover from the anesthesia. Suspended time is the only way to describe those after moments alone in the recovery room. Everyone has cleared out, washed up, gone off to other duties and I am lying on the bed feeling my pupils struggle to adjust to the light.

Lost in her wraps
In both cases I was left with a tremendous desire to see my new baby, which conflicted, of course, with the nurses’ desire for me to rest and adjust to my new stomach.

I can’t recall how long it took me to recover when Nabih was born. Nature kindly wipes out most of the details of pain and leaves us with more of the sense of joy. I remember the first time I tried to sit up and the deadly sharp pain that shot through me. And then I remember sitting on the edge of the bed, waiting for my ride, all too anxious to get out of there. Nothing in between.

This time around? I definitely felt like I’d just come from battle. I was exhausted, beaten up and had the bruises to show for it (further proof that the Ivory Coast team really was more brusque- my IV’s and tried-to-be IV’s were bruised for weeks afterward.) The worst part of the whole deal? The beds in the Clinique were not adjustable. If I wanted to raise my head then I needed to sit up or reach around and fluff the pillow myself, both impossibilities.

Feeling like I just came from battle 
The best part? The sage femmes, the nurses and CNA’s assigned to care for me. They were all sweet and gentle and present. Having been in a variety of hospitals and clinics in Kinshasa, I can attest to this last quality as being the most important. While the bed may have lacked nifty electronic switches, there was a call button by the headboard and the nurses were constantly on hand.

At 5:30 every morning, someone came in to give me a sponge bath, surprisingly a warm and comforting routine. Shortly after, my medicines were checked and adjusted (I was being treated for malaria as well as given some pain medication.) The baby was brought in and the sage femmes continued to check on us throughout the day.

What I don’t remember from my first experience was talk about la gaz. I was given Lipton tea with sugar cubes on the side for breakfast. No milk. No food. Not until I had la gaz. The nurses were checking in with me every hour, which got Christian asking the magical (and previously very private) question. I thought maybe I was missing something and so asked Christian what the gaz was, just to be sure. Not only did he confirm my thoughts, but when he mentioned my possible confusion to a nurse she gave an impression that would make a 10 year old boy proud.

Considering that I had thrown up several times before arriving at the hospital I wondered what in my stomach was supposed to contribute to passing wind. Air pockets? Had they sewn me up with air pockets? Wasn’t that dangerous? I began to doubt the abilities of the Ivorian doctors as I wondered how many days I could go without eating. I wasn’t especially hungry, but caffeine and sugar on an empty stomach were slightly nauseating. Christian was convinced it was medicine and spent a good portion of the evening and next morning encouraging me to drink it all down. I wondered how much gas counted as la gaz and whether anyone would know if I lied? It was my only road to freedom. Not only couldn’t I eat, but I wouldn’t be allowed to go home either.

By the 3rd day it was becoming comical, in that horrifying way. I couldn’t face another cup of Lipton. I was ready to go home. I’d mostly mastered walking if not sitting up and lying down on my own. I finally felt something that seemed good enough. We signaled the nurses and began planning for our departure. That evening, the cafeteria sent up a bow of oatmeal. “Quaker” as it’s called here. “They let us know you had la gaz.” He smiled (did I imagine the wink?) as he set the tray down. I envisioned the cafeteria workers breaking out in a musical, dancing around the kitchen and singing about my gas as they prepared the next round of torture. Quaker showed up again for breakfast. I was happy to be going home before lunch.

PART III- A million medicines and a mom

If you’ve been reading for awhile, then you are aware of my on-again-off-again relationship with doctors. I fluctuate wildly between trusting them and preferring my own version of seeking health and wellness. In general, I feel exactly the same way about medicine. I have a collection of essential oils that I tend to rely on, a few teas and herbs and a strong belief in suffering through whatever other aches and pains they won’t take care of. I believe in garlic and cinnamon. In ginger and lemon, in yogurt and pumpkin seeds. For whatever ails me, there is usually an herb or spice or food that has a history of curing it.

So I was completely appalled at the list of medicines the doctor prescribed for me. Anti- inflammatory, pain medicine, iron, antibiotic, antiseptic.  There were compresses and gauze pads, even a sterile razor- for taking out the stitches a few days later. The baby didn’t get off any easier. I’d already noticed a bottle of something to soothe the stomach that was bigger than she was. They’d been giving her formula in the nursery, waiting for my milk to come in. I imagined she had spit up a few times, resulting in an immediate prescription. In addition, she had vitamins- folic acid pills (pills? for an infant?) and liquid drops, eye drops, alcohol and an antiseptic (yes, 2 different medicines for cleaning her cord- a cord that was an inch long and going to fall off in 5-7 days, 3 of which had already passed at the hospital.) There was another medicine for after the cord fell off and it actually stated on the box “for the healing of umbilical cords.”

I now had enough medicine to open a small pharmacy. While Christian was busy encouraging me to take them all and follow doctor orders to a tee, I was busy looking for any excuse to lighten the load. I read all of the inserts. Several included the notice “not to be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding,” which was enough for me. The doctor had previously given me a prescription for carbonated calcium, in which was explicitly written “not to be used during the last months of pregnancy.” I’d ignored that and was prepared to ignore most of these as well. The baby vitamin insert stated they were “not formulated for children under 1.” It was enough to shake my confidence in doctorhood once again.

But for the tot’hema, a combination of magnesium, copper and iron which promised to cure my anemia once and for all, and the house calls I might have been resigned to permanent disillusion. Christian, ever popular with the nurses and a seeming favorite of the doctor despite their initial haggling over my admission and hospital fees, had arranged for several home visits. At first, I’d cringed and resisted, but upon reflection I realized that even in the States a home visit wasn’t so unusual. If it made him happy, then I could suffer through a few more rounds with the medical team.

The nurse came the day after we’d arrived home. I thought she was there simply to check the baby and offer a few tips on cord care. It wasn’t until she offered to bathe me that I realized the full extent of the visit. A warm sponge bath in the days after surgery had been welcoming, but the prospect of one in my own home struck me as downright weird. I politely declined. 

The doctor came a few days later. She showed up with her 97-year-old mother who took a seat outside by the door. I would have loved a photo of this woman, dressed to the nines, resting on a plastic chair on our porch but couldn’t manage to do that without appearing to be a tourist in my own house. The doctor, rather stylishly dressed herself, attended to my stitches in the comfort of my bedroom. And why not? I had a rather complete pharmacy at my disposal.  She came back the following week just to remove the final bandage and clean the area where the adhesive had left a sticky residue. One of my prescriptions had been for this very medicine, which also doubled as an anesthetic she informed us- for bandits. She mimed the way chloroform is used in the movies, soaked on a rag and used to knock someone out before a kidnapping. Christian and I both looked at each other and laughed. “Don’t get any ideas,” we said at the same time. After all, what fun is having your own pharmacy if you can’t knock someone out at will?

And so our birth story, which began with a furious fever and ridiculous negotiations at the most in opportune time, ends with house calls, health and good cheer. I've let go of all the things I couldn't control and managed to hang onto the things that I found especially dear. 

We're both exhausted- no glamourous photo for us