7.9.14

Modeling the Real World, Mostly

A few of these guys have tattoos loving drawn on

Big hips, like real women have


They have accessories (note the handbags, scarves and sunglasses) and they get their clothes changed often

I've been wanting to share these photos for a long time. A billion things have happened since I took them but I still feel slightly amused whenever I pass this store- a happy little presence on my way home. Mannequins like these can be found everywhere throughout the city, but I've developed a little affinity for these guys. Some of them have tattoos. The lady on the end has ring lines clearly etched into her neck (I'm told this is a sign of beauty, these neck lines) and they're big. Mannequins should reflect the people they are modeling clothes for and these Abidjan models do. Well, in body form anyway. They're still a bit light in skin tone. Maybe America's obsession with thinness is Africa's obsession with lightness.