28.10.14

First World Plus


Bright lights, plastic toys, an escalator. It’s the escalator that impresses me most. That’s the way things are these days. I am impressed by a moving staircase. I’ve gone to the “mall” in search of a pump. Sococe is a collection of stores, restaurants and even a theater. It feels first world to me, although my perspective is probably somewhat skewed at this point. It reminds me of a time when I insisted a friend try some vegetarian bacon I had become enamored with. It tastes just like bacon, I assured her.  After a test, she laughed and assured me that I was too far from the real taste of bacon to make such a statement with any authority. While it may not have resembled bacon to her, there was just enough crispiness and flavor to give me the memory of bacon. Which was close enough. Sococe is the vegetarian bacon, just enough bright lights and an over abundance of material things to give it the feel of a Western mall.

Best of all, it boasts a baby store complete with 2 styles of breast pump, one of which appears similar to the Medela and might actually work.  Starting next week, the baby will have the privilege of dining on milk direct from an Italian expresser, at Italian expresser prices.  It may resemble Medela but the Italian label apparently merits double the cost.

Nothing in Africa happens without oddity however and this story is no exception. Unlike the other stores in the mall, the baby store opens at 2 o’clock on Sunday and Monday.  Of course, I was there on a Monday at noon. Considering the price of a taxi, the decision to wait was easy. Just across the parking lot was a collection of tables and umbrellas forming an outdoor eatery. We commenced the wait with a few drinks and a sample of attetike, the local starch du jour. Tastier than Kinshasa foufou and similar to couscous, I found it delicious with some fish and spicy pepper. Most surprising of all, it came with free water and a glass of passion fruit juice. Those two features, along with the 1OOO franc price tag kept me in awe as much as the taste. While I miss Kinshasa for reasons clear and unclear, what I realized is that my relationship resembles one of a mother and child. I want good things for her. Western amenities like free, drinkable water with a meal.  The glass of juice included? First world plus.