23.11.14

Behind the scenes of a post


It’s job hunting season again, though I feel as if it never really ended. Sort of like two weeks into the new school year and you realize the summer break wasn’t nearly long enough.

It means scouring the web for opportunities and lots of writing. I’d like to say I can write cover letters in my sleep by now but somehow it never gets any easier. I’m trying to be more precise and less long-winded but it remains a challenge. I get excited about my past accomplishments and tend to go on and on. At little research ended up in this find, a format that I really love as it forces me to be concise. I’m not sure what employers think however, and I have found it occasionally results in a 2 page letter. 

In addition, my blog posts are piling up in my head. None of this would be too much of a problem as I love writing and it seems to be the only art form I have managed to hold onto here in Abidjan. Except my computer is slowly losing its keys. Writing is already arduous process. My fascination with words means I am constantly searching and revising for the perfect synonym, phrase or analogy. Now I have to stop every few sentences or so to fill in missing letters. I’ve tried just writing the entire piece and then going back to complete the gaps but my natural rhythm defeats that. Usually I have the l on copy and spell check picks up most words. There are plenty of times however when “no suggestions” pops up, or none of the suggestions are the ones I am searching for. I’ve found little tricks to help out with this. Writing unior in order to get the suggestion of junior and then deleting everything but the sought after j. Some words don’t register as wrong and those are the ones I need to be especially careful about.  Apparently u is a word…so writing up requires prudent editing. The word like easily becomes lie without the k and so again, diligent proofing essential.

Being the word nerd that I am, I actually find this whole process somewhat fascinating, except that it takes 4 times as long to write something, and I am in constant danger of losing my train of thought as I search for the missing alphabet.  That’s not even including the search for the dash and the closed parenthesis, previously two of my favorite punctuations as I can’t help but insert unrelated commentary and thoughts about my thoughts. In order to find that, I usually do a Google search for parenthesis and copy and paste. Along with the zero, in the case of needed numbers.

Capital letters threw me off for awhile but I have [had?] found a shortcut for that. “Transformations” used to pop up as an option and it allowed me to make a word or letter completely capital or lower case.  I can’t seem to find that again in this writing.

It occurred to me during one long evening laboring over letters that if potential employers knew the lengths I went to make a presentable document, they would surely offer me the job right away. My critical thinking and problem solving skills definitely put to the test.