29.3.15

Bach en afrique

Hamlet is on tour to reach every country in the world. They hit Cote d'Ivoire on March 19th. I may have missed that show but tonight I made up for it by heading out to see Bach- performed on balafon at the Institute of Arts. Even though the flyer mentioned Bach, somehow it didn't really register. The show included classical, jazz (straight out of New Orleans) and modern. They played the Cote d'Ivoire Natoinal Anthem, Amazing Grace and a ten minute solo piece in a techno- mix style.  Basically, it gave me a brand new perspective of the balafon.


The balafons on stage pre-concert

The students in the back are concentrating on the challenging piece
Previously I'd only known it as an instrument of traditional music- the sounds of Guinee sweet in my memory. I didn't hear the traditional rhythms, the singing or see the 'wrap'- the strap that lets a balafon player wear his instrument so he can move around. (Here is an example of what I thought I'd see.) The lead musicians also played in a style I hadn't seen before- holding two sticks in each hand, somehow getting all four to tap away the rhythms. There were four women present, one of whom came out to the front to sing a piece I can only describe as opera. She was earnest and sincere, nervous perhaps but definitely capable. (I distinctly got the feel this was a student showcase.)

I had envisioned a completely different kind of concert but was pleased nonetheless. A night of music and artistic talent to soothe all wounds, quiet all worries and even offer a bit of inspiration.