9.5.15

You can't be late for the Americans

She’s late. I’ve called to get a status report and she said she’s on her way but I recognize it as the standard reply. It doesn’t really tell me where she is or how long until I can expect her. Her exact words were “I’m by the lettuce”- whatever that means. Mputo is filled with lettuce farms.

Christine is never late, or at least not usually. Back in the beginning, we’d had a discussion about it. It went something along the lines of if you’re late, I’m late and I can’t keep telling my boss the nanny was late. If I lose my job, you lose your job. It was pretty effective. But in this case, we’ve been on vacation for two weeks and I’m not sure I have been completely clear on how important it was to be on time today. 

I have an interview (something like my 8th interview) scheduled at the American school  and I’m trying to be really prepared. I’d even done some homework on how to have a brilliant interview and actually found some good advice on how to be prepared for the more standard and oh-so-dreaded questions. I haven’t been entirely sure what has gotten in my way in the past interviews and so was particularly happy to find this gem, which ‘triple- dog dared’ me to “go out in a blaze of glory.”  The way to do this was to take those final moments when the interviewer asks if you have any questions and elicit feedback right away. 

“Now that we’ve met and had a chance to talk, can you tell me any ways in which I don’t meet your ideal version of the perfect candidate? Or, do you notice any areas missing or incomplete on my resume?” I figured after a full of year of trying to secure a position, this was the perfect way to find out what has been standing in my way. I accepted the dare.

The other great advice was to be ready for that “what are your strengths and weaknesses” question. The article suggested googling yourself so you could offer  a what-others-have-to-say-about-me response. I happily took up that challenge as well and found a great quote to share. 

By all logic, I should be offered the job. But I know that logic is not always the prevailing sentiment behind hiring (hence the reason why I am on my 8th attempt.) But I am patient.  It’s one of the characteristics I have been honing this past year.

I am excited to have an interview in English and I feel immediately the differences a year at the French school have had on me. English sounds odd coming out of my mouth as I greet the office staff. When I see someone coming towards me on the path I pause for a minute of decision about whether to greet in English or French. American schools are like that. I actually take a minute to refresh my memory about all the American etiquette I need to employ- handshakes, not kisses, first name introductions are ok, even expected and a strong work ethic. 

Which is why, despite all my inner peace building this year, I am stressed that the nanny is late. You can’t be late for the Americans. The French will graciously accept traffic or late nanny stories. The French might even be late themselves, but the Americans? I know I cannot be late with tales of family interruptions because it will be assumed the rest of my working days will be plagued with family interruptions. Americans like to say that family is important and family comes first- as long as it doesn’t actually interfere with working hours.  I’ve missed a lot of things about working for a US school, but this isn’t one of them. I’ve come to admire and find comfort in the French ideal that family is important and requires devotion. That in order to give your best to the work, your mind must be at rest about other responsibilities. It appears to be a holistic view of the professional which seems kind of at odds with the view of education for the student. 

I have spent an entire year reflecting on the pros and cons of each system. I’ve tried to clearly determine which aspects I want to continue and incorporate into my personal philosophy and strategies of teaching and which I don’t. I feel prepared to discuss my observations and bring them into the conversation when appropriate. One of the interviewers is an Ivorian, presumably having gone through the French system herself and attests to much of what I am saying. I feel like we forge a small bond.

While I don’t spend time putting down the French system, (I’m not judging, just observing) I do note what I miss. And I miss the chance to discuss pedagogy with my colleagues and create events for students that allow them to share and express their learning- to really determine the relevancy of it and become the masters.  I’m far enough removed from my last months of trauma in Kin and can discuss these ideas in a calm manner.  I miss being able to offer quality education the way I know I can. The Ivorian interviewer recaps what I’ve said. “You want to offer the best of yourself,” she says and I could hug her for getting it. For getting me

My interview is tricky on many levels- layers and layers of behind the scenes stuff I know about and even more I don't know about. But in the end, it feels good (it’s always felt good, quite honestly. I know without doubt I am a good fit for the school.) It is in the midst of developing, reminiscent of Kinshasa when I arrived, and my experiences there would be useful here. 

So I am left,  peacefully waiting without expectation, for a response. Peace, patience and humility being a few of the things I have picked up in this last year. I’ve been planning a more detailed reflection of this year’s journey in another post (yeah, that one about those Monday meetings….it’s coming.)  I’ve arrived at the point where I can grudgingly admit that I needed this year to learn some things about myself. It’s been a year of struggle and growth – those two things going hand in hand (I want to say inevitably, but I know that’s not true. Struggle doesn’t always lead to growth, well, not positive growth anyway. I’ve witnessed this in the past year too.)

It’s been a year of learning. Turns out that’s another of those things I do best since arriving here in Abidjan.