11.10.15

One bright spot

The new road has one benefit (for me- theoretically it has many benefits for the city, though I am yet to be wholly convinced.) As part of our daily commute we now make our way past the new round point, complete with center fountain (still under construction. It was actually spouting water one day- opening day maybe- but has yet to stun us with its full beauty. I think colored lights are even part of the complete show.)

The formerly empty lots and green spaces are now destined to be 'parks' with stone benches already in place. People can be seen sitting there even as early as 7 am. The ground around them is still dirt, though it is easy to imagine the grass that will be planted.

On my way to dance the other night, I took a closer notice of the scenery. These round points are found all over Abidjan and the one in Palmeraie has a similar fountain in the middle. It has much more green space around the fountain section however, and the park is contained within. I noticed the overgrown grass and the pathways crowded with untrimmed foliage of bushes that surely created a beatiful landscape in its original design. It looks like a magical place, despite the dry fountain and weeds. I wonder if this is the fate of the round point in Riviera III.

But for the moment, the paint is still fresh and the construction continues. The one bright spot? They've painted the walls along either side with a colorful motif and splashed African silhouettes on top. It makes me happy to pass this mural everyday.

The triangle design with different hues is a motif
found all around Abidjan.


I haven't really captured the space well. This area adjoins
 the new road. I didn't have the heart to snap a shot
 of the dirt park- formerly the horses playground.
They can now be seen grazing on small patches
of grass outside the large neighborhood homes.