18.9.16

the search continues

My search for dance continues, the Company Mouyae having turned out to be more of a foster family than an adoptive family. I am not sure what happened there, though it definitely seems to be a theme in Abidjan. Just as something gets started, begins to feel like it might be a real possibility, it fades away, often inexplicably.

I finally went to the Village Kiyi, a place that's been on my periphery for the last year or so, but I'd never made it there. I was in search of an artist I'd seen a few times but never gotten direct contact info from. This whole dance thing is like a full time job. A serious hunt. The Village is a bona-fide school of dance dripping with culture. The walls are covered with paintings both on canvas and geometric mural designs directly on the walls.

There are several stage areas including an outdoor amphitheater and a more traditional indoor space. The stage is black wood, the walls are covered with large canvas paintings of city scenes and there is a refreshing cross breeze through the open doorways. I am enveloped in a serious spirit of creativity and history.

The emcee comes on (to keep me entertained during my wait, I've been whisked into the culminating performance of the kids summer program) and gives an impressive introduction to the recital we are about to witness. One of the students will begin by introducing the show in English. She is to be followed by another student with the French version. The emcee suggests even more languages in coming years. "Pourqoui pas Arabic or Chinese?" he asks, stating at the Village, they have their ' head in the future and their feet in their culture.' A synthesis of the spirit of Abidjan, where all cultures and languages seem to collide, combine and morph into something new entirely.

Unfortunately, as with most places I am learning, there are a million opportunities for children but few for adults. I leave my number and receive assurances of a phone call to come once they get their adult classes started. I've been down this road so many times I'm not anticipating anything.  The search continues.





Beautiful archway. The space behind
the  stairs appears unfinished, half
lived in and completely alluring