1.1.17

Sincerely, the garbage men

New Year's in Africa is a time when people do more than just wish you a happy...

No, in Africa, there's a lot more ceremony involved. People ask your forgiveness- for things they've done, things they might have done (but weren't aware of) and any other reason you might have found to be annoyed by them at some point in the previous year. They wish well being, health, happiness and love for their neighbors before themselves. And everyone is thanking their mom and God for the life they've had so far. Moms are pretty big in Africa.

So far, I've received 3 messages requesting forgiveness- 2 including a song (actually, the same song. It was touching the first time, the second time I began to wonder if it wasn't a "thing" I'm not in the loop about.) I found 2016 to be a pretty peaceful year personally. I made amends with any wrong doings that came my way. I'd mostly gotten over the shock of pain and put aside any lingering hurt. So, I recognize the messages as a formality- there is nothing to ask forgiveness for but it's just part of the season.

And then the garbage collector stopped by. I thought he was there to collect on the bill...a bit early, since I could have sworn he'd just been by a week or two before. Instead, he handed me a type written note. I glanced at it quickly and looked at him for an explanation.

I couldn't quite understand what he was saying- the best I could decipher was, "We'll come more quickly." More quickly....? For the bill? You want me to pay more often? I wasn't grasping the main idea.

He tried again. "Maybe we didn't come quickly, but now we will." I smiled a fake understanding and wished a meilleur voeux, certain I was missing something that would clear everything up.

Later on I showed the note to a friend. Basically, I'd gotten the main idea. Apparently it was an apology of sorts for any times they may have been late in picking up the trash and a new year's resolution to be more timely.

Sincerely,
The Garbage Men