14.4.17

Shinrin-yoku...and other sights

I spent a recent afternoon giving private lessons in a beautiful backyard mesmerized by this tree. I could barely take my eyes off her, imagining all sorts of intimate interactions between us. I wanted to draw her curves and fill a canvas with her full green top in sloppy strokes and thick piles of paint. I felt an intense need to climb her branches, hang a hammock in the dark, cozy middle and be rocked to a deep and comforting sleep. I longed to be encompassed by that tree. I yearned to set up a camp beneath her canopy and pass days and nights listening to stories of wisdom as the wind rustled through her branches.

In the end, all I could do was snap this photo, which doesn't really do her any justice at all.

A few other random photos - not sure why my camera phone always seems to be on it's last legs...more of that magnetic aura surrounding me, interfering with all things electronic....

The shoe pile...love this place

Mbalia's sweet school- reminds me of my own pre-school,
Toddler Town, with a similar wide porch and bright colors
(although my pre-school had two red & blue wooden soldiers
out front- definitely nicer without the soldiers)
And this one from the RDC Embassy...I don't know if the original color was blue (seems like maybe it should have been green) but the irony of a national office of tourism struck me a little too hard as I struggled to accept my visa woes.