14.6.17

Pay Phones in Paris

It's been nothing but rain. Cold, wet, gray days. I am looking forward to escaping for a bit- the end of school is coinciding with my quick trip to Paris. One feels like it will never end and the other is coming faster than I can prepare.

Taking a trip abroad is forcing me to think of things I haven't really considered in years. The most pressing is the phone. I don't have fancy phone service and there is no contract. I am on the ever-so- easy, pay-as-you-go Africa service. It is no big deal to charge up phone credit- minute sellers can be found on every corner. Getting a new SIM is equally easy- and cheap. Africa really seems light years ahead when it comes to using mobile phones. Get a new number, transfer money, pay bills, school fees and even taxis' are accepting payments by mobile phone.

Of course, I haven't been out of Africa for 5 or 6 years....and so I am not really sure what it's like in the other worlds. Are there even pay phones anymore? Along with charging up minutes at the corner stand, you can also just use the phone to make a call. They charge by the minute. Super simple. No coins needed.

I have been trying to figure out how to manage the few phone calls I will need to make once arriving in Paris. There's the key pick up for the studio I've rented, and I am not really convinced that I will be successful in meeting my friend. A phone might come in handy.

Otherwise, I will (supposedly) have wi-fi at the studio. As long as I can get in. Some preliminary research about options led me to the very convenient sounding Orange Holiday SIM. It offers probably a bit more in SMS and phone minutes than I need, but the price tag is prohibitive.

I've gathered as much information about train lines and bus lines and transportation to and from the few locations on my itinerary. While my friend has offered to show me around, the meet up spot is suspiciously vague. It's like suggesting to meet at Grand Central track 4. Some 700,000 people pass through there daily. Apparently the Gare du Nord is similar. In fact, it makes the top 5 busiest stations in the world. So I am a little skeptical about us actually finding each other somewhere around the "voie 4," though my friend seems to think it will be no problem. (I will be awash in a sea of white women, and Europeans in general. Camouflage could be an issue.)

I created a very lite itinerary because 5 days in Paris is sure to fly by. I've included the Louvre, which happens to be showing a special exhibit of "The Body in Movement- Dance and the Museum."
Apparently dancing along the Seine also seems to be a thing. I am ready to get my salsa on (although, two of my French students pointed out that salsa dancing is not very French. I countered with the idea that being creative, well rounded and artistically minded is very French. And dancing salsa on the Seine sounds like all of those.)

Finally, one more thing came to mind. Although those same two French students did recommend the Arc de Triomph, especially if I wanted to climb - as opposed to climbing the Tour Eiffle. I am not really interested in climbing either, just a glimpse - even from afar- would be fine enough. They may have sold me with tales of the flame that is lit every night at the Arc de Triomphe- the Eternal Flame however, along with the suggestion to visit very early or very late at night.

Rather than either of these, while browsing for interesting things to do, I came across the Lady Liberty. I'm pretty sure I knew there was a Statue of Liberty in France as well, but it doesn't get as much press as the NYC one. As a native New Yorker, I guess it is no surprise that I haven't actually been to the Statue of Liberty, but I figure this is my chance to make up for that. I could visit the ladies in reverse. I still have time to make it to Ellis Island one of these days.

So that's it for Paris. A few market places, maybe a croissant and a cup of tea in an outdoor cafe (although Ramadan is kind of at odds with that image. I guess I could adjust it to late evening rather than early morning. Or maybe I will find a cafe open at 4 am....)

In the meantime, just trying to get through these cold, rainy days. (The forecast looks surprisingly similar between the two cities, so I may not be escaping as much as I thought. But a change of air, if not of temperature, will surely do wonders.)