9.6.12

Martial Arts I'll Never Master

My journey to be fierce has two parts. Capoeira drew me in by its grace and history. It is a martial art first performed by slaves, disguised as a dance to remain hidden from their masters. What could be more intriguing? I'd long heard about and seen glimpses of this art form on the fringes of the African dance set. One mention of the word and dancers would start showing off their moves.

But I'd never taken classes and so when I saw an ad in the Congo Bongo- the US Embassy newsletter, I thought it might be the perfect thing to add to my journey. I began taking classes with a friend at the most enchanting outdoor grounds of Elais- a fitness club, restaurant and pool center here in Kin.

I have to say, the atmosphere had a lot to do with why I stayed. Walking through the overgrown path filled with palm trees and greenery on the way to the grassy mostly open area (there's a stray palm tree or two that you have to look out for when performing an Au) is the perfect transition from daily strife and troubles to free mind and smooth body movements.

"You ever notice only skinny people do this?" my fitness partner remarked just last Monday. I had to laugh and maybe agree. It's part of why I have always loved African dance. Body is good. Anybody can do African dance and the more you have to move, the better it looks. But capoeira....? Not necessarily skinny, but flexible, yes. And that's the other reason I stay. I love the feeling of being close to the ground and springing up. Of course, losing my balance and tumbling onto my side is less than graceful but in my search for inner strength, I realize balance and agility are necessary. She went on to say how she doesn't really enjoy capoeira but she remains for the challenge of working her body in ways she wouldn't otherwise have the chance to. (She is a most excellent fitness partner.) It made me stop to examine what I am hoping to gain here. Because, as a perfectionist, I must realize capoeira is something I will never really be good at. It's taken me months to feel like I can enter the roda, the circle of sparing and showing off moves you've learned that day that occurs at the end of each class. I still have moments when I stop completely and just laugh, calling out "Finished" - hardly the way you're supposed to end the roda....and a good chance of getting smacked in the face by the unrealizing partner. But I do see I have managed to build up my trust because going "dois en dois" requires more than just the ability to look your opponent in the eye at all times.

Capoeira has challenged me on many levels. And while I have accepted the fact that I'll never perform moves like these, I'm hoping to find some inner balance and flexibility to transfer over into the rest of my life.