22.4.13

Bankers: dancing

Recently I had the unusual opportunity to accompany my dance teacher to one of his more interesting classes. He's been working with a group of bankers- yeah, the money kind. They've been gearing up for a big conference at their headquarters in Nigeria. Apparently this conference will include representatives from all the Access branches around Africa. Naturally, they will hold a dance competition.

I've been back to the class, which takes place on a rooftop balcony, a few times since. I am tickled by the idea of a bunch of bankers dancing. Something about my American sensibilities finds humor in trying to merge the image of a stuffy US banker getting down with his colleagues- and what's more, preparing to strut his stuff in front of colleagues from all over the continent.

These bankers are anything but stuffy (I had the greatest pleasure in seeing the bank manager show off his sexiest cha-cha-cha while encouraging his underlings.) They have been taking their own time to practice for 2 hours a night twice a week for months. They're looking forward to the trip.

The choreography and song selection is meant to show the best of DRC, hence the Independence Cha Cha Cha selection. I've watched the dancing bankers grow from their first hesitant steps to really confident movements. They laugh, cajole, encourage each other and I have been witness to the power of dance to truly build community. I imagine their working relationship has improved because of it. Not to mention the magic of dancing on a rooftop in a cool Kinshasa evening.

I happened to be present one night when the manager informed the dancers that they wouldn't all be able to travel to Nigeria. The 3 couples- none of whom shined too brightly individually as dancers- made a picture perfect ensemble when dancing together. They each carried a certain joy and rhythm and seemed to be having genuine fun. I couldn't imagine only 2 of the couples dancing without the others. And what a weight for their teacher. He was told to pick the best of the 6 to represent their bank, their branch, their country. Oh the difficulty. He began that evening's practice a bit severe, serious. But in the end he has only managed to insist that they all travel. He can't make the cut. I agree that the 6 of them together carry the most ambiance.

It was this same evening that I overheard a conversation between the manager and another of his employees (apparently a rogue non-dancing banker.) The manager was criticizing a decision made by the employee during his handling of a money transfer between two different clients. I tried not to pay much attention, feeling distinctly like I shouldn't be present although I had been personally invited into the office for a seat. What caught my ears was another contradiction in terms. As a means of wrapping up the conversation, the manager began to advise his employee, "Search for the spirituality in your work. You really must. Find the spirituality." He sent him off with wishes of God blessings and other hopes for salvation.

I've been thinking a lot about finding the spirituality in one's work- how it struck me as odd and yet necessary all at the same time. Certainly not advice one hears in most American institutions. It coincides nicely with the emphasis on dance. What a better way to represent oneself, one's country, one's spirituality than through the language of dance. From the mouths of bankers....



UPDATE: All six dancers got to take the trip to Nigeria after all. Great news for them!