1.5.13

AWED- but only because I'm supposed to be

"Do you know Jacky Ndala?" I asked  my assistant teacher. I'd heard he was a famous Congolese TV personality but I was trying to determine how famous famous really meant. I'd had the opportunity to met Mr. Ndala- JackyNdala- as he seems to be frequently called, as if it is all one name- during one of the many organizational meetings for the AfroZumbah charity event and one year anniversary celebration. Jacky had agreed to do the media coverage for the event at a heavily reduced price.

I had sent him a text message requesting a copy of his logo. I was working on flyers for the event and wanted to add logos of participants and sponsors at the bottom. Jacky called me about 15 minutes later to confirm I'd received his email.

"Jacky Ndala just called me, " I informed my assistant, to gauge his reaction, still trying to determine the level of famousness.
"He doesn't call people," came the reply. "Normally, with someone like him, you would need to call and hope he picks up." That seemed to confirm it. He must be really well known.

In discussing the arrangements for the evening, we'd met twice for drinks and once for dinner. Slowly, I began to understand some things. But initially I was confused about the purpose of the meetings. Not much was said and little seemed accomplished. I asked a lot of questions, trying to get some history on Jacky's work. I don't have television and so I couldn't even rely on some current events to help me figure out who he was. I was able to piece together some idea about his work as he answered my many questions. Apparently he works with arts and culture, frequently with music artists- singers, also famous here in Kin, such as Fally Ipupa and Werrason. In addition, he promotes up and coming artists and has worked with Vodacom and their many superstar competitions. The dancers, singers and musicians at our event seemed to know this well. After the guests had left and they'd gotten a bit to eat, all of the performers crowded around Jacky trying to get a photo.

I found a few things about him on the web such as his blog and some information about an accident he had back in January. Somehow, not having the history meant it just wasn't as impressive. I was too busy still trying to figure out the culture of business and opportunity in Kinshasa. How to make things happen. Trying to understand the social nuances that become so much the more complicated in a second language that's being spoken in a foreign country.  I am slowly arriving at the comprehension part, but feeling the awe of meeting a famous person? Well, only because I'm supposed to.....

Jacky and Christian at the Soiree, Grand Hotel, Kinshasa