5.5.13

Life by SMS

Africa has mostly skipped over the land line phenomena and jumped to directly to mobile phones. This is even more apparent in Congo, where land lines don't seem to exist at all. (I did see a desk phone in the Grand Hotel and it took me awhile to wonder what seemed so odd about it. I've never seen a desk phone in Kinshasa.)

Text messages are the preferred method of communication as they are cheap and reliable. Actually calling someone often results in a fuzzy, distorted connection or simply not getting though at all. The government recognizes the importance of texting (SMS) and has even been known to shut it down in cases of "national security."  Congo is not the only country to employ this method of securing its citizens. Mozambique and Egypt have also utilized this in an attempt to maintain control.

Aside from politics, SMS are a favorite way to communicate greetings (Christmas and New Year's have my phone beeping off the hook to signal all the messages of blessing and well-wishing coming my way.) I noticed a trend of creating fancy designs with the characters that form an image of Christmas trees or hearts accompanied with a generic message of blessing for the family and a prosperous New Year. I am never really sure if I should respond to these messages as I seem to be one on a list of many recipients. Junk mail by SMS is how I tend to see it (though I was accused by one friend of not replying and so now consider the messages more carefully.)

Other acquaintances have gotten in the habit of sending scriptures and reminders? pleas? to recall the words of God and keep believing, keep praying. My own personal evangelists reminding me to keep the faith.

The most bizarre messages, however, have come in the form of love poems. I have been asked on a blind date (yes, how did you get my number exactly?) and presented with propositions of undying love, all by SMS. I've been implored to "give me a chance" or more poetically in the French "essaye un gout"- try a taste. I've been wished good night, happy dreams, good morning, and enjoy your weekend at random intervals with "I'll never give up on thinking about you" and "my heart rests only with you" all more eloquently written yet completely unsolicited by me.

I have been caught completely off guard and unsure about how to respond. I simply don't understand where the messages are coming from. Not who, of course for all but the mysterious Sam (or was it Alain asking me on a date, whom I simply had never met before- though he assured me he'd gotten my number from a mutual friend at some art event) but for most of the messages, their name pops up as a registered contact in my phone. I know these people, I just can't figure out what has prompted them to send such messages. Our real life interactions never hint at such a direction.

My social awkwardness leaves me feeling the only option is to ignore them and they'll go away. It does make it hard to have a relationship with someone when my phone is ringing with love notes.  In a few cases, I've been obligated to request that they not write me again. In another case, the ignoring seemed to work and I only receive the infrequent Mbote! at this point.

In all seriousness, I thought perhaps they were some kind of joke. It seemed so odd to be receiving the multitude of messages about such personal feelings from so many different people around the same time.

On the other hand, I have also been menaced by text. I've been ordered and threatened by SMS. (Luckily mobile phones have a nifty "automatic call reject" option that simply doesn't accept phone calls from certain numbers. This does nothing to stop incoming text however.) I have an entire phone filled with those nasty messages, just saving them for use in court I suppose.

Of course, I have received other intense SMS messages. An English student of mine sent out news of her mother's death. US embassy warnings of unstable and potentially dangerous areas come by SMS. And I once received a formally written invitation to a birthday party by SMS- followed up with a Thank You text.

I admit to resorting to text at times, as it seems easier to send a written message with news of something that might prove difficult to say. In Africa, text is also much cheaper than a phone call. And comes with the ease and ability of sending to more than one person. I've received "copies" of messages to other people and been included on mass distribution lists ('severe traffic on boulevard, take alternate route' or 'demonstration at the US embassy, avoid downtown.')

In all, I am amazed at the flexibility and vast utility of how text messaging has evolved in Africa. Banking by text, sending cash to relatives and friends and yes, even dating by text are all some examples of the usefulness of this medium. I haven't signed up for any of those services however and continue to be perplexed at some of the messages I receive in this life by SMS.