18.7.14

Insurance, Assurance, Never Sure

I ve been having contractions for awhile now- months really, but its only the ones in the last few weeks that have got me thinking. They re still the Braxton-Hicks variety but as I reach the 36 week mark I am all too aware that could change at any time.

My first thoughts- worries- have always been about the need to take a cab to the hospital. What if it is the middle of the night? What if its pouring buckets of Abidjan rain? Will there even be a taxi?

My next worries were about the 10 minute walk it takes to get to the main road. In labor? Really? A friend put this into perspective by pointing out that walking is part of labor- it will be good for me. Since this is baby no.5 however, I m just worried she s going to pop out in a matter of minutes right there on the dirt road in the middle of the rain with no taxi in sight. It would make for an interesting birth story.

Then we found out the little princess is in seige- sitting down- in the wrong position. Though I keep imagining her able to kick off the side and flip around like an astronaut in space, both the doctor and the sonogram technician have pretty much ruled that out. There just isn t much room in there.

I ve been thinking a c-section takes care of some of my other worries. They re usually planned, right? And don t necessarily happen in the middle of the night. Except now I have to pay for it. Despite extending my "global" health insurance, the clinic here refuses to work with them. Pay first, get reimbursed later. Luckily, African medical costs mean I actually can pay for a c-section out of pocket.

Banking practices make it a little more of a challenge however. Once my last school paycheck is deposited in my American bank account, I ll need to make numerous trips to the ATM- once per day over the course of several days- trying to amass the amount I need. Its a result of negotiating my own banks cash withdrawal limits and the ATM s ability to spit out enough bills.

Now I am hoping to gather all that cash before any real contractions start, assuming I ll need to pay up front before they admit me. In Kinshasa, they are known to keep new mothers prisoners-in effect- patients of the hospital long after necessary in order to recupe payment. I m not really sure what the policy is here but I have been told the price is all inclusive-medicines, food, doctor, 3 days rest and care. Its a bargain at 800,000FCFA.

I m planning to tour the maternity section next week and be prepared with my list of questions for the doctor. While my insurance company hasnt provided the ease and comfort they promised, its hardly their fault. Once I have my little cushion of cash I should feel slightly more assured.