18.7.14

Taxis...the orange; the yellow; the green and the blue

Taxis don't like to come all the way down to our house. There is a point where the road, already dirt, turns into a footpath. "But that's sand," one of the drivers complained. "All the other taxis go down," I coaxed him, not really seeing the difference as we had turned off the main paved road about 10 minutes ago. Christian actually had to push one of the drivers out one day and so now I understand.
We live straight and then off to the left just before the yellow house at the end




The orange taxis are like express....they go any where around the city for a price. It's all in the negotiation. Mohamed has been getting a little better at this and he and Nabih can often take a taxi just down the road to their soccer camp (sweet independence!) We invested in blue bikes so the boys can have their own taxi service and save on money- a brilliant plan except Nabih's bike chain keeps falling off, along with other random parts. It's a constant work in progress.

Five weeks in and that's bascially how I feel about the entire going local adventure. A work in progress. Some days I am certain I am going out of my mind. It's awfully isolating to move to a brand new country where you don't know a soul. I spend a lot of time alone with my thoughts which is not usually a good thing.

We are also spending time learning how to live as a blended family, another of those blog nitches I could, but don't, belong to. Mixed families are a challenge. Add in the cultural factor and you get challenge times two. Add in moving to a new country, saying goodbye to old friends, expecting a new sibling and you get downright crazy- on a good day.

So, what do we do when there's nothing to do? Go fishing. The boys have been spending tons of time fishing- with clams. Mohamed has become the pro at opening clams, skewering them to his hook and reeling in fish. I think the drizzly, rainy  weather helps.

The lagoon behind our house is really a blessing. It provides a cool breeze and takes the stress out of whatever anxiety might be popping up for the day. Because moving without the cushy comfort of a contract has meant some changes.

We still don't have any furniture but we do own a lot of appliances. I am the proud owner of a hot water heater, though we haven't yet hooked it up. Time and patience for everything. You never really get used to a cold shower I believe, but it has a unique way of making you feel energized and ready for the day. We do have a plumber, and an electrician and a host of other handy men who complete tasks for us around the house. It is stunning to me how easy it is to put a hole in cement. It's done wonders for my thought process. Anything is possible is my new mantra. Surely it is when no one seems to think much of just popping a few holes in the concrete and inserting shelves or a cable wire or whatever else is needed. It leaves one feeling incredibly hopeful, creative and alive with possibilities.

Which is another way I fill my time. Planning all the changes I can make. There are walls surrounding our house and I have filled them up with designs in my mind. I have created gardens and door decorations, replanted our sole palm tree and installed a fountain in my mind. I've even made a few sketches so everyone in the house can be part of the plans.

These last few weeks haven't been easy but I am grateful we have a super cozy place that lets us spend a ton of time outdoors and that most of the obstacles we need to conquer are personal ones- ones that require patience and confidence- things I am not always full of but at least can continue to strive for.

I guess I'll have to get around to the yellow and green taxis next post. My computer charger has failed me and cyber time is rare.....for now, a few photos of our new abode.
Nabih at the entrance, sole palm tree to be replanted

Garden coming to replace the sand. Front porch is lovely on a rainy night

behind the yellow trucks is the entrance to the lagoon

plans for doorway decoration already in the works


Where we give dance classes by the lagoon

the ugliest part of the house- a weird "hallway" around the back

but I even came up with a plan to make it beautiful and so feel inspired again- thinking of Aicha helps me to see paintings on the walls and orange colored rocks in place of the sand. Painters are coming to give fresh coat to the sooty looking outside wall 

long "hallway" wall shared with the neighbors, leads to the front again