25.12.14

Believing in Magic

She wants my photo. Two of them. My neighbor, the screenwriter, has requested a full body shot and a head shot. For the proposal I am guessing. I have put her off a few times and wonder how long it will last. Every time I see her lately she brings it up.  I don't want to give them to her and I can't really explain why. What do I think is going to come of my photos? And is my reluctance motivated by fear?

I have been the subject, victim?, of the reverse photo bomb long before it became a media catch phrase.  In Lubumbashi I remember some visitors to the guest house I was staying at strategically placing themselves for a picture so I would be in the background.  Somewhat amusing at the time, essentially harmless. Another time I was enjoying the sun on a rock near the Congo river when some passersby  requested a quick snap. I agreed but then felt odd, wondering long after what they would do with their photo of the strange white woman.

The topic has made social media rounds with the slogan children are not tourist attractions. In Kinshasa, taking photos without, and sometimes even with, permission can lead to aggressive confrontations. I have no way to rationalize my reluctance to hand over my photos. Except to say it is the Congo in me.