6.4.15

Easter Wishes



Maybe it’s Easter, maybe it’s just one of those things but the last few days have found me ensconced in religious conversations with my neighbors. I have been the recipient of several surprise visits. Remember this post when I supposed that some European neighbors might have a better idea of how to initiate friendship than I myself had? Turns out that a few Ivorian neighbors have filled the bill. 

A few weeks ago, two women showed up at my door, laughing, a bit uncertain but seeking an invitation to come in and talk for a few minutes. They said they’d noticed me walking by and just wanted to make my acquaintance. In true African style I was filled with suspicion and intrigue all at the same time. I could hear Christian’s voice in my head telling me I should send them on their way.  However, when one of the women inquired with hesitance, “Can we come in or are you afraid?” I felt I had no choice but to accept. How else can you make a friendship except to be bold, I reasoned.
They came in and we sat on the porch trying to get over the awkwardness. I asked a lot of questions and listened to their stories. One, Leah or Leila, said she was married to a nurse and working in insurance. We talked a bit about the complexities of selling insurance in Africa. I half expected her to launch into a pitch but she refrained.  Instead, she told me about her family’s plan to immigrate to Canada. 

The other, Dianne, stays at home with her two girls. She seemed the most shy and aware of the strangeness of the situation. Dianne looked often to Leila for cues and when they finally left, she seemed relieved.  We promised to say hello if we saw each other in the neighborhood again and I vowed to try and remember their names.

I saw Leila in passing on my way home one day. I’d stopped at a corner boutique to pick up a few items and she was walking by. She stopped and offered a proper greeting. More surprising, however, was a visit from Dianne. She came with her youngest one evening to say hello and visit the baby. I learned more about her this time. Her husband is a doctor at the airport (plenty of questions here on my part) and he takes the lagoon route to work each day. We exchanged questions and answers- more this time from her. I felt a bit odd offering bits and pieces of my life. That uncertain suspicion ever lurking in the back of my mind. At one point she asked if I didn’t feel afraid, living here alone- and I wondered what prompted her to make such a statement. I added some strategy to my response, replying that we’d made friends of our neighbors and this helped us to feel secure. (In case she was part of a band of robbers who had designs on infiltrating our abode in the night. Making new friends is a joy- n’est pas?)  
 
Since then she’s come back once more- with both of her girls this time. They had fun watching Mbalia and trading shy smiles, though most of our questions had run out by then. Silences were filled in with remarks about the children.  I asked her about her Easter plans, which led to the first of what turned out to be several of my recent religious conversations. She seemed to invite me twice to her sister’s to celebrate- or just to eat food really- but I am not ready for such pressure on my conversational skills. I like her (guardedly) but I am just not sure what to say. It’s always been that way for me. 

I remember watching the women in my dance classes, in the changing room. I wondered what they had to talk about, how they managed it- knowing each other- and felt it was such a difficult thing. What do people talk about? Maybe that’s why the mundane holds such fascination for me at times.  Underneath it all we are just regular people, but what does regular look like? What is it that facilitates conversation in one group of people only to be hampered in the next?

Just this (Saturday) evening, my other neighbor stopped by, Assita. She is the writer who came to leave me the script so I can prepare for next Saturday. In my search to fill the silence, I asked her if she was celebrating Easter and had hoped merely to wish bonne fete. This innocent inquiry turned into a rather intense discussion of her conversion to Christianity – her soul searching and healing through Jesus Christ.

It was interesting to share our completely opposite journeys of conversion. I let her express her passion while keeping mine in check a bit- I wasn’t ready for an all out debate about the truth of the Qu’ran--- or the Bible for that matter. What I did share, and what I continue to believe is essential- is that God calls us all to the path in different ways. The most important factor being belief in God and adherence to spiritual kindness for our neighbors. We didn’t exactly agree here, but managed to keep the conversation from getting to that point of outright disagreement.  (The main difference in the two religions comes down to whether or not Jesus is the son of God and God himself or whether he is a miracle of God, a prophet and holy being but not divine.)

We each had stories to tell of being moved (by songs of praise in her case, by the call to prayer in my case) and of searching for a truth that spoke to our souls. I appreciated again the ability of Christians and Muslims to live and pray side by side in Ivory Coast- without one dominance and without coercion. She agreed with this.  True believers do not follow the path of violence. 

In the end she said she would pray for me and I accepted. Her experiences of being saved and being healed- physically and spiritually- were true for her. I wasn’t about to dispute them, and certainly not refuse the well- intended wishes of another through prayer. Islam acknowledges Christians and recognizes intention as more important- or equally important- as action. 

So, I’ve met my Christian neighbors (who would like me to return to the faith) and my Muslim taxi drivers (who believe my husband should be converted) and we’ve conversed well this Easter on all accounts. Bonne Pacques to those who celebrate.