23.4.15

In Eden



It was a miracle               
Not an earth shattering
Water walking
Miracle
But a hunger saving
Dignity raising
One small life
Kind of miracle
But it was
A real
Reason defying
Couldn’t be anything else
True to life
My own small earth
Shattering
And put back together
Miracle

It happened on that same hot, dusty road in the middle of Eden (what better place for a miracle?) Here are the events of the 22nd of April when I ‘d calculated down to my last 1000franc, just enough to get me to my Wednesday tutoring job, which happens to be in the cartier called Eden.

Near the middle of the month my calculations get ever more exact. By the 22nd, I have everything down to a near science. Except life doesn’t always run by science and inevitably there is one thing or another that insists on ruining my careful plans.  And so one thing or another had happened and I was on my way to a cash paying job to get me through the rest of the week.

Except when I approached the house, I found the door shut and everything silent. I knocked. I waited. I knocked again. After ten or so minutes I figured one of those un-plannable things had happened in someone else’s life and turned to make the trek home.

I was only slightly panicking, thinking of the second job I was supposed to go to and my friend’s art opening that I couldn’t miss. I thought of breakfast and lunch and transportation to school for the next few days. I walked down the hot, dusty road trying to imagine a solution for it all. My mind kept returning to the house. The car had been in the driveway. And I could imagine the kids inside, how they sometimes got lost in that big house full of rooms that seems to swallow up all the life and appear so silent.

I took out my phone, knowing it had been out of credit and useless to me for days, and tried to call anyway. Instead of the predictable “You don’t have sufficient credit to make this call” I heard a woman’s voice on the other end. She was there! After confirming that the family was, in fact, at home and just hadn't heard my knocking, I turned around and headed back. I immediately tried to call my second Wednesday job- just to confirm that we were on- and received the insufficient credit message I’d been expecting moments before.

There’s no explaining why that one call went through- the one I needed to make the next few days bearable, to save me from explaining to my friend or to my boys why I’d once again let them down.
Oh but the joy and relief I felt was enough to assure me I’d experienced my own small miracle right there in Edan. Mash’allah.