9.12.15

neighborhood watch

After my last post, I got to thinking- do my neighbors have guns? I sort of just assume there aren't as many weapons hanging around, but I guess I can't really know. Just as I was pondering this question I heard a series of pops going off like a drive by.

Mohamed assured me they were just kids with firecrackers- like I should worry less. I do see an awful lot of machetes around- I even have one myself. But they are mostly used as a gardening tool- yup, I planted some of my flowers in our small dirt patch with a rusty old machete. Oh, the skills I am learning.

Today when I came home Christine greeted me with tales of a snake in our yard. She even snapped a few photos with her phone which she eagerly shared. It was a king snake. Bigger than the spread of both arms. Really. Huge.

She told me a man had been passing by and saw it slither into the yard. He came banging on the door to let her know. A different kind of neighborhood watch. She was freaking out herself, screaming a bit but still courageous enough to wave a broomstick around. The man did more than just alert her, he came in and killed the snake as well. Neighborhood watch plus.

Considering how the crab managed to get inside, I am feeling a bit uneasy. There are just too many gaps between doorways, holes in the walls, and hidden entryways that only the animals seem to know about.

In the meantime, I am grateful for concerned citizens wielding heavy sticks.