13.3.16

the new generation

My facebook feed remains filled with remnants of a life past- allowing me to keep up with all of the comings and goings of those I knew in a different place when we were all slightly different people from the ones we are today. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bittersweet.

One refrain I notice is the leaving. Much as I miss Kinshasa- my mythical relationship between human and city- I realize that most of the real life people connections are no longer there. (Which doesn't really stop me from missing the city, but it does make me wonder if a visit would fill me with satisfaction or confusion.) 

I am super happy for my artist friends who have gone on to find success in places like Belgium, Russia, and Morocco. Some have moved on permanently, established relationships, had children, while others are just on tour and eventually returning to Kin. Many have made videos, formed successful working partnerships, established classes or have shown their work in exhibitions. It's beautiful to be able to witness their achievements, even if Congo seems to shine a little less brightly in their absence.  

It's the one point that has me reflecting all the more. The idea that leaving is a measure of accomplishment. Or the only road to success. To be fair, there are plenty of artists who stay. Plenty who are successful despite remaining at home. But of those, I can't be sure how many would run given the chance. Too many, I think. 

Few artists have made it their goal to stay in their country, to enculturate the process of making art and passing it on to a new generation. Too few opportunities for publicizing one's art and becoming known on a global scale prevent this. Too few opportunities for simply supporting yourself, and maybe your family, from your art prevent this. 

It's one great way to get Congo on the map- stardom out in the global market-....even if it comes with a little bit of sadness at the empty spaces left behind. More than half the population is under the age of 24, suggesting there are plenty of energetic youth to step up and fill the gaps. I suppose that is what a return visit would show me. Surprises of the new generation.