31.7.16

call of kinshasa

My artist friends (and mere acquaintances) from DRC have been calling me. They are looking for residencies and invitations for work in Abidjan, "meme just pour la fete de decembre." One of them finally clearly said he was looking to escape the turmoil of the elections.

Even as I still dream of (returning to) Kinshasa, they are looking to leave. The photos of recent events speak to their fear.

This photo is already being called "historic" Supporters of the opposition assemble
Or maybe it is this photo, which I find incredibly shocking. Kinshasa is not the US (or Paris, despite the delusions of Bandal) and calling out your president like this just doesn't happen. Or, at least it didn't.

People are tired, it's clear and elections or not, something is going to happen come November.
I have another friend who has fled under threat of arrest and I am sure he is watching the events from afar with un coeur brise. It can't be easy for him to be so physically distant from what  has been his passion for years.

So I am here, wondering how to get back, wondering if I really want to get back and thinking of all those who haven't a choice in leaving or staying.

My summer has been full of (work) and trying to determine my future path. Just when I think I have my goals set, someone shares this video with me and I know where I am going.



It is not just the saga of the street kids, but the emerging street families that presents the most concern. I'm praying on this one. While the country deals with elections and presidential glissement, there is a section of the population that will remain forgotten. Unfortunately it's the section that is generally thought of as the future.