18.12.16

The next post...or ...All the little I can do

It's that season. Despite nearly 10 years in Africa, this remains the season where I lose track of time. I guess I am still waiting for the cold of winter to set in. I have to keep reminding myself what time of year it is, and that the new year is approaching. I  always have a sense that I will miss it. Being on vacation from school only adds to my timelessness.

Contract season is also about this time for the international teaching world. It has passed seamlessly for once. I've secured a new post for next year in enough time to return my "intent to return" as a negative, comfortable in the knowledge of a new post for next year. We are going to Mali.

Mali has been on my list since I began teaching in Africa so I am extremely excited to be able to accept. Top it off with the fact that I've already worked with the director and can be assured that our educational philosophies are a good match. It feels like so many positives coming together for a prosperous new adventure.

In the meantime, I still have 6 months or so left to get through here in Abidjan. I begin to wonder what I can do, or should do, to expand my experiences here. I don't have a fuzzy warm feeling of the country though I sense it is more to do with the moments in my life than the country itself- perhaps.

I want to take advantage of the remaining time to see more, do more, understand more, but I also sense that if I couldn't make it happen in 2 years of living here, it's not likely to happen in the next 6 months either.

It's also the season for elections.....in Congo. Although the outgoing president never organized any elections. The people have decided to uphold their constitution and so we wait- tomorrow being the deadline- to see how the citizens take hold. It's sure to be intense and my thoughts remain concentrated there, in a country I have grown to love and support, despite my distance.

#telema The government has called for a cut in all social media and phone connections. I am confounded by the public-ness of this. The letters are posted and the news is out. People are preparing to be cut off from the outside world. Activists have been kidnapped and the military is in the streets. More is coming. As much as I believe Kabila will see that the revolution is not virtual, but real, and the media blackout will not change events- I wonder. What if the providers simply refused? Where is that one strong, convicted mind that will simply continue business as usual?

And how will we get notice of what is happening?  I am having faith there is a plan for this but I have no inside knowledge this time around. I am far from events, a mere witness. So I rest in prayer, in positive energy, in sending strength and courage for the newest of posts- the interim government that must take place when all else falls apart.

And I do not doubt that many will pay, have already paid and are paying now with the supreme sacrifice. And my heart is there too. All the little I can do from where I am.