1.4.18

Cuban roots

Salsa in Bamako is of the Cuban variety. I've found my way back to class and have been enjoying learning all the strange names for dance moves I already know and quite a few I don't know. It is nice to put a little structure on things however. 

For me, salsa began with Cuban style. Cuban salsa is danced in a circle, rather than the strict line of Puerto Rican salsa. Back then, I felt like a dervish whirling across the dance floor, full of joy and ecstasy. But I didn't always feel in control and I couldn't break down what my feet were doing. 

A few years studying Puerto Rican style gave me some discipline and helped me gain control. Now that I have a teacher who breaks down the steps, Cuban salsa is a lot less intimidating. My Malian teacher is a gentle young man, as so many Malians seem to be. He is quiet and sweet with a baby face (as so many faces seem to be lately. I am feeling my age here in Bamako.)    

He is a lot less demanding (though I can still hear Henri's voice telling me, head up, back straight, light hands....) While I miss the posture and the structure of Puerto Rican salsa- and Henri's strict teaching style- I am having fun feeling back to my roots. 

Taoule is a Muslim and he wears a traditional West African boubou every day, even for dancing. It is an odd mixture. This slight, mild mannered young guy in his long bazin dashiki and matching pants teaching me the Dile Que Si, the Enchufle and the Sombrero. Apparently he spent some years in France with his father, who is a dancer and musician himself. I have no idea how that turned into him studying salsa, but I guess there is time to uncover the story. 

Taoule is such a calm teacher, I am surprised when he breaks out with an advanced move. He's really great at meeting me at my level but every so often he sneaks in something fancy. It is so inconsistent with his manner that it never fails to make me smile. He understands pacing well and has been introducing more complicated steps at just the right time. I am left to wonder what his full out dancing might look like, while finding his reserve refreshing. He's not trying to impress me and I can't really tell if this is due to shyness or quiet confidence. I find it common in Malians- this gentleness that could be taken either way. It's comforting and welcoming. Friendly. I guess this is how they got their reputation. 

Mali keeps offering up strange juxtapositions of people and events. Learning Cuban salsa from a Muslim West African is certainly among the top. As I get closer to my roots, I keep finding there is more to uncover.