7.9.19

Choosing Peace

I knew names in Nigeria would be much different than what I'd experienced before. People names are notorious for the length and difficulty. They're often shortened to a nickname of one sort or another, which may or may not retain the beauty and elegance of the full title. The name really does serve as a title, often having some grand meaning- a whole entire sentence, even, like "God has given me someone to care for" (Olufunke) or "I am rejoicing at God's grace" (Moyosoreoluwa.) 

Names of stores that retain sentence structure are often fodder for comedy routines. "God's Good Grace and Ultimate Blessings Hair Salon." There are business name guidelines, however. And this post isn't really about those long names. I've been thinking more about the shorter, more direct names that have crossed my path in the last few weeks.

Searching for a nanny is always a bit traumatic. I remember Nabih went through 4 nannies before finally finding someone who could keep up with him. Our Bamako nanny search led to the ridiculous situation of having a series of nannies quit on me. Luckily, I think we've found someone on only the second go around.

The people I'd been introduced to (for potentially offering a reference) and list of names I was given as potential job candidates included Joy, Blessing, Peace, and Happiness, along with one Juliana Lawson. Just as I wondered if the universe was trying to tell me something, I walked into the restroom at school and noticed the clipboard the attendant signs to indicate regular cleaning. Comfort.

Everywhere I turned I was being inundated with positive cheer. In the end, I went with Peace. She has a wonderful disposition and gets along well with Mbalia. As a business major, she doesn't do much in the way of chopping carrots or whipping up a grilled cheese, but she's willing to try. And the idea of working to save money to go back to school is something I am happy to support.