13.2.15

Hotter than it seems

I ran across this BBC article a few days ago, which seems to suggest my blog is hotter than it seems. I've been writing about Kinshasa funerals for ages. I missed an opportunity to share an actual video on location- Christian has a few clips of a funeral he attended in Kinshasa and somehow I didn't get a copy before he left.

I did get to view them, however and the thing that caught my eye was one of those infamous tissue sellers. The video clips, taken by various people I assume (mostly his son I am guessing), as Christian himself can be seen in a small group of men, shows a typical Kin funeral just as things get going (meaning it is still daylight. Mourners keep vigil all night long.) Music is playing and people are arriving. Women are wailing. Somewhere in the middle a young boy selling tissues approaches one of the bereaved. It is easy to spot family members as they wear clothing cut from the same cloth. She just exits the tent where the coffin is kept and is overcome with tears and grief.

It is a moment in black comedy when the boy approaches her. Clearly an entrepreneur at heart he spots an opportunity and seizes it. Of course, she is in no position to buy, but from a purely business standpoint his thinking is good. He appears to be about 12 and already understands the economic potential of a situation. Before long someone is sure to be in need of his services.

Oh Kin, I could never have anticipated missing you so.  It took me years to understand the function of the tissue sellers. As I sweat through the Abidjan heat I could almost miss them- sauf que, they are mostly young boys and I am trying to believe the lack of young sellers means they are in school, getting an education, where they should be. Happy to buy my tissues in the grocery store in this case but still missing Kinshasa fiercely.