2.2.15

Telema!

While I am busy collecting notes on my neighbors and words of wisdom from my growing boys, their is one voice that's missing. My favorite poet. Since Congo has lost all ability to send and receive texts messages, my conversations with Christian have waned. Feeling so far apart and unconnected, coupled with my other woes, has sent me spiraling into despair on more than one occasion.

As a result, I have thought more frequently of those who  live in a constant state of isolation (North Koreans) and of those whose contact with the greater world is intermittent (villagers, third world dwellers, poverty stricken humans.) Even here in the capital, phone service can be reduced at times to nothing more than a frustrating (albeit somewhat sexy) French voice letting you know your call just can't go through right now. I have spent a sick day or two feeling trapped in my home, unable to call a friend for help- only getting through after hours of repeated dialing and sending the boys out to the phone cabin where reception is possibly .5% better.

But I wasn't dying (or, at least, I didn't die) and for folks in Kinshasa the situation is surely more serious. Aside from the fact that there isn't a local emergency number to begin with, communication with friends and family is severely limited. And receiving news from outside the country? Hard, hard and harder.

Its not just about finding out what is going on out there in the wide world, or letting those you love know you're ok (or not ok, as the case may be,) but it is more about making sure the world is aware of what's going on inside. Witnesses. There is nothing comparable to the feeling that no one can see you and no one cares. Or even KNOWS what your reality is.

Telema is a website launched in response to the recent events in the country. It is a continuation of the efforts to educate the masses, educate the youth, mobilize the people. While  "the Congolese issue is an African issue" and ultimately a world issue, the real power to change things starts and stops with the Congolese themselves.

Its  hard to be so far away and still feel like I am lending my full support. But there it is, using my art to spread the word. One small thing I can do right now- hoping to find more small things leading to an avalanche in the future. Its all coming, slowly, slowly. |Sure would be a lot easier if I had the words of my poet to sustain me.