7.11.13

Mexico....

A place more wild than Congo?
I am not sure how this article makes it into the magazine section of the BBC,  though there is nothing the actual definition of magazine to suggest the articles would be less important or less factual than those of a newspaper....but it just seems that way. Magazines are not the stuff of serious readers.

So I wasn't sure how to take this article about the facebook beheadings. I hadn't heard anything about it and found the article to be a bit incredulous. Until I realized that it really isn't much different than the things that go on here. Criminals operating with impunity. Even everyday people seem to be able to do pretty much what they want without fear of consequence, especially if you have some cash to throw around.

It does make me ponder the question of whether violent video clips such as this should be banned. Apparently that was the issue that brought Facebook under fire. A huge part of me thinks, if this woman really was beheaded and no one claimed to know her or reported her missing or searched for help, retribution or justice of any kind.....than that is a much bigger problem.  And people need to know.  What better way to spread information than social media? Of course, the other huge part of me thinks we don't necessarily need the violent video to get the message out about the severity of crime and the ease of escaping punishment in Mexico.

Reality speaks loudest however and the reality is violence is one method of getting people's attention. But is it enough to motivate people to rise to action?

I can't watch the video,I'm not interested. Reading the article was enough, though it seemed to ask all the wrong questions and give none of the right answers. "Who was the woman?" A beginning, I suppose. But what is really happening in Mexico? And what can be done to change things.....?