20.11.13

Wrapping my head around it

After-contract season (practically a season unto itself) is kind of like  a post-Christmas apocalypse. Those who've won new contracts  are giddy with the possibilities and promise that a new job brings and those who have decided to re-sign are looking forward to another year- a kind of staying in your jammies all Sunday and getting organized around the house feeling. Everyone is standing around admiring their presents and basking in the glow of  higher salaries, settling in bonuses, and whatever perks they've managed to get added to their new contracts.

And for those who've decided to move on? We're busy making those plans for the future become reality. Some people are moving back home- wherever it might be- and are busy with the details of securing a house, car, job, and reuniting with friends and family. Other people are finding the perfect words to complete graduate or doctorate applications and awaiting word from the school of their choice. There are those who have decided to leave the teaching position and are busy assembling resumes to reflect other talents and skills. The rest, like me, are deep in the search for another international job.

The search starts off with the most ideal location (francophone Africa) and then must broaden (Africa) until finally encompassing only the most general criteria (a job.) The process is a bit challenging for me. Although I'd already considered all the worst case scenarios and prepared myself to accept them, it's a bit harder in practice. Even moving from the most ideal location- francophone Africa- to the second favorite- anywhere in Africa as long as we're still on the continent- requires an effort. I think it is due to the fact that, unlike many international teachers, I'm not really in it for the travel aspect. I'm just looking for a comfortable place to raise the boys and get involved in the culture and dance and music. For me, that means West Africa.

Of course, you can't help but hope for improvements. Better transportation, cleaner streets, more entertainment options for the weekends. You hope for school improvements, too- not necessarily a better school, but just better in the way it fits you. One teacher I know was specifically looking forward to finding a place where logic rules- and maybe some fresh strawberries. Me? I'm hoping for more integration between the local community and the school. Of course, some critical thinking skills are always welcome.

Maybe it's just been that kind of week or maybe it's the moon but I'm still trying to wrap my mind around what I found this morning:
The unfortunate example I showed in which a
 student had  doodled all over the cover

         
Can't imagine how long it took to draw lines
 around all the tape- Didn't anticipate pointing
 out the doodles  weren't necessary. It does
 make for an  artistic effect, though.
 It's all in the perspective