10.11.13

the name game

My last post, coupled with report card season, have gotten me thinking about the life of an art teacher- or music teacher, PE teacher or even a secondary teacher I suppose- any one who sees something like 120 kids or more a week. Here are a sample of the name similarities I have this year:

Just similar enough to make you stutter
Noelle/Noella , Marie Claire and Lily Claire, Emmy and Emma, Michael and Micah, Rayn and Aryan (and Ayana,) Gabby and Abby, and finally Joe, Joel and Aurele.

Fun sibling names include Yubin and Subin, Chidike and Chadee.

Those silent letter names
Sanjeevani (pronounced San-jee-vee)
Jeanne (pronounced Jane)

Long M at the end....
Siam and Noam

And just for fun
Ruby, Jules and Julia

It does make me wonder what cosmic bag we reach into when choosing names for our children. These families come from countries across the world and yet, here we are, encircled by such similar sounding monikers.